How can I understand what Aeron is doing at runtime?¶
You have a running Aeron application, and are trying to understand what's happening.
Either programmatically inspect system and stream counters, or use the sample tools included with Aeron.
This is a deep topic, and the content is spread in other parts of aeroncookbook.com.
Firstly, it helps to understand the architecture of Aeron, specifically Publications and Subscriptions plus Log Buffers & Images. Once the architecture is understood, review the content on Understanding Position in Aeron. Now that you understand the basics, it's time to look at the tooling:
- AeronStat provides the deepest overview of what's happening in a Media Driver
- BacklogStat provides a view on current data backlogs
- LossStat lists all known data loss events suffered by the Media Driver on UDP streams
- ErrorStat provides a list of unique errors raised by the process(es) using the Media Driver
- Aeron Agent provides low level logging of Aeron activity with the Aeron Agent